Friday, November 28, 2014

My Thanksgiving Turkey

Based on the child’s craft of tracing a line around your non-dominant hand and then embellishing it to look like a turkey, my simple Thanksgiving spread is:

The thumb/the turkey’s head:  Something to keep in mind about receiving and gratitude.
The four fingers/the turkey’s big tail feathers:  Four things to be thankful for.

For my Thanksgiving reading, I drew five stones and arranged them above the tips of my fingers. 


Yes, folks, I got Hanged One, Death, and Devil to be thankful for.  Let’s see how I do with that!  But let’s start at the beginning:

Keep in mind about receiving and gratitude:  3-Empress-Malachite.  I need to keep in mind that everything we have comes from nature.  We are part of nature, and she provides for her own.  But we are so “civilized” these days, we sometimes forget where our blessings of life, sustenance, and health come from.  Our culture has become so intelligent that we can wrest nature’s bounty from her even when she is reluctant to give, or when it harms her, the very source of everything we need.  And we haven’t become intelligent enough not to.  But the Empress is here as a gentle reminder, not a rant, to keep her in mind when we want what we want and get what we want.  Is what we want best for ourselves, for other people, for our mother nature?  And a reminder to be truly thankful to the ultimate source of life.

Be thankful for 0-Fool-Clear Quartz.  I’m thankful for the daily opportunity for a fresh start.  No matter where I am or what I’m doing, I can begin again instantly with an attitude adjustment.  Few of life’s situations are so immutable that a change of mind can’t change them, for the better if that’s what the mind intends.  I’m also thankful for the existence of innocence in myself and in the world.  Cynicism, depression, and despair, although ubiquitous, are not all there is.  Freshness, openness, curiosity, and compassionate goodness are here around me and within me if I choose to look for them.  A blessing that we don’t often remember to count, but a valuable one just the same.

Be thankful for 12-Hanged One-Sodalite.  I’m thankful for the pause that refreshes!  Sometimes the universe hangs us up so we have to take a break from our everyday life or the determined pursuit of our desires.  When I just can’t seem to get to where I want to go is when I get the chance to examine why I’m doing what I’m doing and if that’s what I should be doing.  It also teaches me patience.  I need to learn that good things are worth waiting for.  So thank you, Hanged One for the timely reminder!

Be thankful for 13-Death-Mahogany Obsidian.  I truly am thankful for endings.  It’s good to be able to know that when something is over, it’s over, and I can move on to something new (with the Fool) - or not.  Death lets us know when to let something go, another valuable, although not often appreciated, lesson from the turkey today.

Be thankful for 15-Devil-Hematite.  Temptation can be a good thing.  A flash of random, irrational desire can be a signpost pointing to something fulfilling, even if it was never part of our “five year plan.”  Just because something is different or unexpected doesn’t mean it’s wrong.  (The only thing wrong is if we hurt someone or ourselves in pursuit of that illusive something.)  I’m not sure how this pertains to my life, but I’ll keep my eyes open for messages from Devil in the coming year.

Well, this is a lot to think about.  I definitely feel more thankful on this day after Thanksgiving!

I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving and that you have a year full of gratitude!

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I just read a forum topic about the tarot decks you had purchased from Turkey years ago. They belong to Ata Nirun, a famous mystic and writer living in Turkey. Called Lara Tarot, an eclectic version.
    His website in Turkish: http://www.atanirun.com/biografi.html
    ps. I would answer in the forum but the registration process...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for the information. I'll check out the site (even though I can't read Turkish!). It's been a long time since I've thought about this deck, but I'm always interested in unique tarot systems. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete